Hair Be Gone! How to Prepare for a Brazilian or Bikini Waxing Experience
July 15, 2019
If you’re worried about your upcoming waxing, it’s understandable. The idea of hair being ripped out of the body doesn’t sound too appealing, but what if there were a few ways you could better prepare yourself for this type of experience? Everyone’s pain tolerance is different, but there are some tips you can follow to help lessen the pain and make your Brazilian or bikini waxing experience a more enjoyable one. Find out how.
Before Your Wax
If you want your waxing experience to be the best it can be, it’s important that you take the proper steps before arriving for your appointment. These include:
- Ensure your hair is long enough – Your hair length should be ¼” or a grain of rice in length. This will allow the wax to grab hold of the hair for effective removal.
- Moisturize and exfoliate – If you want smooth results that last, make sure to moisturize and exfoliate your skin prior to your waxing. Dry hair can break off, leaving you with stubble.
- Take a pain reliever – If you’re worried about pain, take a pain reliever such as Ibuprofen about 30 minutes before your appointment. This will reduce inflammation and help with the pain.
- Avoid caffeine – Want to stay relaxed and calm during your appointment? Avoid coffee or soda before your waxing, as it can increase your heart rate.
During Your Wax
Now that you’re about to have a bikini or Brazilian waxing, it’s time to think about what you can do to ensure the process is seamless. Try the following:
- Relax – While this isn’t always easy to do, just take a deep breath and relax. Your skin care professional knows what she’s doing, and she will encourage you to communicate throughout the process if something doesn’t feel right.
- Make sure the skin is taut – Because you’ve chosen a highly skilled and trained professional to perform your waxing, you most likely will not have to worry about this. By holding the skin taut, it decreases the amount of time spent receiving your waxing.
After Your Wax
Once your waxing is complete, you want to make sure your results last as long as possible, right? You didn’t just go through all that to be unhappy with your results a week later, so to maintain your smoother, silkier skin, here are a few tips to follow:
- Avoid physical activity after a waxing – Your pores are open, and your skin is fresh. Exercising or exerting yourself to the point of sweating can cause bacteria to build up. It’s best if you spend the rest of the day relaxing.
- Say no to self-tanner – The day of your waxing, don’t reach for the self-tanner. We know it’s tempting with your fresh, new look, but it’s best if you wait until the next day if you don’t want irritation.
- Don’t tweeze ingrown hairs – Don’t irritate or damage your skin by trying to tweeze your ingrown hairs.
- Schedule your next waxing – Ensuring your results last, go ahead and plan to schedule your next appointment before you leave. This will keep you on a regular schedule.
- Avoid hot water – Try to hold off on taking a hot shower after getting a wax. Your skin will most likely be very sensitive, and bacteria could begin to grow. The same goes for saltwater or chlorine, both of which can irritate the skin.
- Wear loose clothing – You need to let your skin breathe, so make sure you have some loose clothing to wear to and from your appointment.
Will the Pain Lessen Over Time?
The answer is: most likely. Much of it depends on the person and the sensitivity of their skin. What you can be sure of is that over time, the more you wax, the finer the hair will become. This will not only make it less noticeable but the finer the hair, the less likely it will be as painful when removed.
If you maintain a regular waxing schedule, your pain tolerance will grow, so while there may still be somewhat of a sting, it won’t be unbearable pain.
What About Sensitive Skin?
If you have sensitive skin, you need to make sure you moisturize and exfoliate your skin before waxing. Hard wax is used when a client has sensitive skin, so make sure when you arrive for your first appointment that you explain to your skin care professional the type of skin you have. This will help her determine the best type of wax to use for your bikini or Brazilian waxing.
After your waxing, you can expect to receive a few recommendations for products that can help eliminate ingrown hairs, nourish your skin, and prevent bumps or irritation. It is important that you use these products as instructed to keep your results lasting longer.
Get ready for summer by pampering yourself. A bikini or Brazilian waxing is just one way you can feel and look great in your new bikini this year, so throw away the razors and embrace the popularity of waxing!
About the Author
Lizeth Alvarado is a highly skilled and expert beauty stylist who is passionate about women’s beauty and fashion. Her ability to give women (and men) the look they desire through various cosmetic services is what makes her eager to go to work each day. Lizeth attended George Mason University to pursue Communication, but when she wasn’t studying, she was booking jobs at fashion shows and working as a freelance style consultant. If you want to find out how you can achieve a refreshed, revitalized look for summer, or if you have questions about our services, visit our website or call (202) 550-8981 to make an appointment.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.